As a personal trainer myself, I love watching other trainers working with clients. Often I get great ideas from them but occasionally I see things that make me cringe.
If you were hiring a personal trainer, what would you expect from them? Here are my top ten suggestions:
1. I’m sure your 20 year old butt looks much better than mine, but please do not spend half my session demonstrating your perfect squat in front of the mirror
2. Do not ask me to do an exercise that you can’t demonstrate
3. I’m sorry if I’m interrupting your lunch break, but please don’t eat when I’m paying for your time
4. Oh, and don’t stand there with your Starbucks in one hand and your cell phone in the other (yes, really)
5. If my session is an hour, I expect your attention for most of that hour. This does not mean you can leave me on the chest press machine while you wander off to chat to your buddy
6. Talk to me. I may not be able to answer you in more than one syllable, but silence is awkward
7. Don’t let me off easily. I do that on my own, that’s why I need you
8. On the other hand, don’t yell at me. That’s not encouraging, its mean and I might not want to come back
9. Don’t just talk the talk: an overweight, unhealthy trainer does not inspire confidence
10. Remember my name, act like you’re pleased to see me and have a great workout planned for me
Sounds fair enough!
Had a personal trainer for a couple of sessions back when we got our Goodlife memberships in the summer and, judging by your criteria, I think you would have been impressed!
Great advice! I agree with all of your points.
Too many don’t understand their accountability……..client choice though so get a different one if yours doesn’t get it
Ha! Great list. I especially love #1, 4, 9 and 10!